Last updated November 2004
Controllers of Personal Information
Any personal information provided or to be gathered by www.aaru.com.mv is controlled primarily by AARU PVT LTD, a private limited liability company incorporated under the laws of the Republic of Maldives, and having its registered office at # 01-01, Filaa Building, 1 st Floor, Koli Umaru Maniku Goalhi, Ahmadhee Bazaaru, Male', Republic of Maldives.
Collection and Use of Personal Information about Customers
The information we learn from customers helps us personalise and continually improve your experience at www.aaru.com.mv. We use the information to handle orders, and deliver our services, communicate with you about orders, services and promotional offers, update our records and generally maintain your accounts with us, display content such as services that might be of interest to you. We also use this information to improve our services, prevent or detect fraud or abuses of our website and enable third parties to carry out technical, logistical or other functions on our behalf.
Here are the types of information we gather.
Information you give us: we receive and store any information you enter on our website or give us in any other way. You can choose not to provide certain information but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of our features.
Automatic information: we receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many websites, we use “cookies” and we obtain certain types of information when your Web browser accesses Aaru Pvt.Ltd.. A number of companies offer utilities designed to help you visit websites anonymously. Although we will not be able to provide you with a personalised experience at Aaru Pvt.Ltd. if we cannot recognise you, we want you to be aware that these tools exist.
E-mail communications: to help us make e-mails more useful and interesting, we often receive a confirmation when you open e-mail from Aaru Pvt.Ltd. if your computer supports such capabilities. We also compare our customer list to lists received from other companies in an effort to avoid sending unnecessary messages to our customers. If you do not want to receive e-mail or other mail from us, please adjust your
Information from other sources: we might receive information about you from other sources and add it to our account information.
What About Cookies?
- Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognise your browser.
- The Help menu on the menu bar of most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie and how to disable cookies altogether. However, cookies allow you to take full advantage of some of Aaru Pvt.Ltd.’s most innovative and useful features and we recommend that you leave them turned on.
Does Aaru Pvt.Ltd. Share the Information It Receives?
Information about our customers is an important part of our business and we are not in the business of selling it to others. We share customer information only as described below and with Aaru Pvt Ltd and its subsidiaries, controls that are either subject to this Privacy Notice or follow practices at least as protective as those described in this Privacy Notice.
- Businesses we do not control: we work closely with our affiliated businesses. In some cases, these businesses operate supply vessels to serve you. You can tell when a third party is involved in your transactions and we may share customer information related to those transactions with that third party.
- Agents: we employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include fulfilling orders, delivering bunkers, and providing customer service. They have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes. Further, they must process the personal information in accordance with this Privacy Notice and as permitted by the data protection laws of the Republic of Maldives.
- Business transfers: as we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy stores, subsidiaries or business units. In such transactions, customer information generally is one of the transferred business assets but remains subject to the promises made in any pre-existing Privacy Notice (unless, of course, the customer consents otherwise). Also, in the unlikely event that Aaru Pvt.Ltd or substantially all of its assets are acquired, customer information will of course be one of the transferred assets.
- Protection of Aaru Pvt.Ltd. and others: we release account and other personal information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with law, to enforce or apply our existing and other agreements or to protect the rights, property or safety of Aaru Pvt.Ltd., our users or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction. Obviously, however, this does not include selling, renting, sharing or otherwise disclosing personally identifiable information from customers for commercial purposes in a way that is contrary to the commitments made in this Privacy Notice.
- With your consent: other than as set out above, you will receive notice when information about you might go to third parties and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
Whenever we transfer personal information to countries outside of the Republic of Maldives in the course of sharing information as set out above, we will ensure that the information is transferred in accordance with this Privacy Notice and as permitted by the data protection laws of the Republic of Maldives.
How Secure Is Information About Me?
- We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage and disclosure of personally identifiable customer information. Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we disclose personal information to you.
- It is important for you to protect against unauthorised access to your password and to your computer. Be sure to sign off when you finish using a shared computer.
What Choices Do I Have?
- As discussed above, you can always choose not to provide information, even though it might be needed to take advantage of some www.aaru.com.mv features
- If you do not want to receive legal notices from us, such as this Privacy Notice, those notices will still govern your use of www.aaru.com.mv and it is your responsibility to review them for changes.
Conditions of Use, Notices and Revisions
If you choose to visit www.aaru .com.mv, your visit and any dispute over privacy is subject to this Privacy Notice, including limitations on damages and application of the laws of Republic of Maldives. If you have any concern about privacy at Aaru Pvt.Ltd., please send a thorough description to email@example.com and we will try to resolve it.
Our business changes constantly and our Privacy Notice will change also. We may e-mail periodic reminders of our notices and conditions, unless you have instructed us not to, but you should check our website frequently to see recent changes. Unless stated otherwise, our current Privacy Notice applies to all information that we have about you and your account. We stand behind the promises we make, however, and will never materially change our policies and practices to make them less protective of customer information collected in the past without the consent of affected customers.